Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why Interfaith Impact Matters


"I find that altogether odd and unsettling things happen to my vision as I struggle to see and hear the merciful, reconciliatory heart of religion despite riveting, better-publicized rancor. This angle of approach to the broken world resists choosing sides and accepts antithesis and contradiction as given realities much of the time. I find that I grieve as bitterly for the broken humanity of the perpetrators of crimes as for their victims. I excel at righteous indignation, full of loathing for self-serving people who behave destructively and arrogantly in the name of faith. But I find it harder and harder to label and dismiss them, render them abstract. I am constrained to be mindful of both the fragility and the resilience of the human spirit. I sense that seeing the world the way God sees the world means, in part, grieving in places the world does not forgive, and rejoicing in places the world does not notice. It would mean, therefore, to live with a patience that culture cannot sustain, and with a hope the world cannot imagine." (Krista Tippett, Speaking of Faith: Why Religion Matters--and How to Talk about It. New York: Penguin Books, 2008, p. 171)

Interfaith Impact every Thursday at 7 p.m.-- 18 N College St, UCM lounge. 

Find us on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment